Writing Task 1 – Car Sales – Band 9


You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

The charts below show the percentages of types of vehicles sold in the United States in the selected year. Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant. 

You should write at least 150 words. ***The most common mistake that students make when writing about pie charts is they write about “LINE GRAPHS” instead of “PIE CHARTS” – these are not same!!! 🡪 Pie charts show proportion in a given period BUT line graphs show correlations over time, continuously. Pie charts do not show “start to finish” but line graphs do.

The pie charts show that the popularity of cars has been decreasing from 1980 to 1990 from 95 to 75%.

NOTE! You have to be very careful to usually avoid using the prepositions “from” and “to” when describing pie charts, as these are usually truer when dealing with line graphs. 

OVERVIEW (1. Paraphrase the question with details, 2. Indicate the main feature)

These four pie charts depict the popularity of three vehicle types, cars, trucks, SUVs, purchased in America in four years with ten-year intervals, 1980, 1990, 2000, and 2010.  At first glance, it is clear that consumer trends were significantly different comparing the first three time periods; however, 2000 and 2010 indicate very similar preferences by vehicle customers.


In 1980, cars dominated sales with 95% of the market, the remaining 5% being comprised of trucks. However, in 1990, the popularity of trucks had tripled, as well, a new type of vehicle, SUVs, had emerged on the market with 6% share of the whole. After a decade, the popularity of trucks remained relatively the same; conversely, the preference for SUVs was five times greater, which cut into the demand for cars, lowering this proportion of the total to just over half. The difference in consumer demand for these vehicle types in 2000 and 2010 was negligible, there was 2% less demand for both SUVs and trucks, and in regard to this, 4% more interest in cars.

(Band 8 and 9 essays do include a summary – gives the reader a good overall piece of information that can be learned (but not assumed) from interpreting the data.) 

In summary, although cars are the most popular choice for American consumers in any of the four given years, it is also clear that preferences change over time, and a significant portion of the market has an affinity for buying SUVs in more modern decades.

6 Responses to “Writing Task 1 – Car Sales – Band 9”

    • aeadmin

      You can find videos for these types of questions in your My Student account. You will find these in the Writing Section. Good stuides.

  1. Fram

    The pie chart bellow illustrates the most famous cars purchased between diferent decennia especially cars, trucks and SUVs. By looking at this , we can obviously notice the fact that cars remains the most buyed vehicle while this four decades.

    In the year 1980, cars was the most purchased vehicle with 95% of the market when Trucks only held 5%. Ten years after that, the popularity of Trucks had tripled, SUVs began to be known by some people but cars still the most appreciate although the market started to be diversify. 2000s was the year where SUVs was used by a number of person, the percentage of Trucks increase of only 1% than the last decade and cars remained the leader of the market with 79%. A decade after that, altough cars was the most loved vehicles with 58%, he shared his market with Trucks (14%) and SUVs (28%).

    To summarise, people’s preferences in terme of cars have really changed over these forty years.

  2. [email protected]

    The given pie charts illustrate di information about percentage of sale of vivid vehicles in United states in particular year.
    Overall, the sale of cars was maximum in all years. The sale of trucks was second maximum in 1980 and 1990 but in 2000 and in 2010 it was least

    As the data suggests, in the year of 1980 the sale of cars was maximum as it was noted to be 95% . Nevertheless, the sale of trucks was just 5% .Moreover, the sale of trucks was decrease and reached to 89%; however sale of trucks was rapidly increased which was accounted to be 15% . Additionally, the sale of SUVs was just 6%.

    Moving further, in 2000, the sale of cars was speedily decreased which was 54 % , However , the sale of trucks was almost as same as the year of 1990 which was witnessed for 16%. Furthermore, sale of SUVs was increased with huge difference as compare to previous sale and it was 30%. In 2010, the sale of all vehicles was almost as same as the year of 2000 and it was 58% for cars , 28% for SUVs and 14 for trucks.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.